Thursday, July 7, 2011

Flutters, Pangs, & VBAC (Week 19)

The other night I was falling asleep on the couch waiting for Ryan to get home from work (goes to the City Council meeting every other week) and something started fluttering in my lower abdomen. It actually caught my attention and woke me up. Now every time I relax at the end of the night I get to feel my little bambino dancing around.

Overall I've been feeling great. The only consistent symptoms I've been feeling is round ligament pain in my hips. Even that's been subsiding - except when I start my evening walks. I'm still walking - now 4 times a week for 3 miles. But by the time the walk is over and I relax the pain is gone and I feel much better than I did before.

The walking is something that has been a real goal for me. I decided not to worry much about my eating because I'm really not eating too much anyways. Also I haven't gained any weight, in fact, I think I've lost about 7 lbs since my 4-week OB appointment. I'm walking more to help strengthen my body and prepare for the delivery.

My hope is that I can deliver vaginally. I had a c-section with Ainsley and it was probably the most horrible experience of my life. I also want to try to deliver without the epidural. I found out that I have an allergic reaction to the epidural meds they use. My body shakes uncontrollably. With Ainsley's delivery, I had to have two epidurals because the back of her head was sitting on my tailbone (she was turned forward instead of being toward my back). Then the epidurals never really worked. By the time I was on the table for the c-section I was shaking so terribly that I thought I was going to either break a tooth or bite my tongue off. I had a c-section because I was in 12-hours of labor I only dilated to a 6.

I think this delivery can be very different. The pain that I was experiencing was mostly due to her being turned so what are the chances of that happening again? Then I want to just go as far into the delivery as possible without an epidural. I am looking into taking another birthing class to refresh my memory and give me some tools to help me through the delivery. Not sure how we're gonna get Ryan to one - maybe they'll have a shorter refresher course. Haven't gotten there yet in my research.

My next post will be at our 20-week ultrasound (which actually will be when I'm 21 weeks - just the way it worked out). This is the ultrasound we've been waiting for. For most people they are anxious to find out the baby's gender. For us it's really about the health of the baby. We've had enough challenges that this is really key for us. Of course, I'm excited to know if it's a boy or a girl. We have absolutely no feelings as far which one it will be. So yes, this is different. We knew Ainsley was a girl almost before we knew we were pregnant.

So soon we'll be making the big announcement!! Exciting times!

1 comment:

  1. After I gave birth to Taryn I was shaking really really bad too. My teeth were chatting so hard I thought they were going to break. The doctor told me that it was my body's reaction to the trauma it just went through. It didn't happen with Myka's delivery though.

    I hope you are able to have the opportunity for a VBAC. It would be so nice for you to experience a natural delivery. Although, any way that baby can get out safely is a plus in my book.

    ReplyDelete